Canary CREST Program
Canary Cancer Research Education Summer Training (CREST) Program
The Canary Center at Stanford is a world-class research center dedicated to early cancer detection. To train the next generation of interdisciplinary scientists, we offer a unique summer research training opportunity for undergraduate students, namely, the Canary Cancer Research Education Summer Training (CREST) Program. Funded by the National Cancer Institute (NCI), the program offers a 10-week research experience in one of our state-of-the art labs. Each participant will be matched with a Faculty mentor who will help them craft a research project. Senior scientists and postdoctoral fellows will assist the Faculty in supervising and mentoring the students in the lab. The successful applicant can expect to work in a dynamic lab environment on challenging projects that involve a broad range of research techniques. Additionally, students will learn about the field of cancer early detection (from in vitro diagnostics to in vivo molecular imaging) through specially-designed short classroom sessions, as well as participate in professional development and career seminars. The program culminates with a Symposium, where students present individual posters on their research projects in front of their peers, faculty and lab mentors, and other Stanford scientists.
- All participants in the Canary CREST Program must agree to the following eligibility requirements and program expectations:Time Commitment
- - Students must be undergraduate students enrolled in two- or four-year colleges or universities
- - Students are expected to work at least 8 hours per day, 5 days per week in the lab for the duration of the 10-week period
- - Students are expected to attend all program activities, including orientation, seminars, and the poster symposium
- - Housing and travel assistance are available; no assistance is offered in obtaining US visas
Application open date: January 8, 2018
Application due date: February 16, 2018 (late submissions will NOT be accepted)
Application review: March - April 2018
Internship Period: June 18 – August 24, 2018
Canary CREST Application
Candidates should complete the online application at https://canarynet.stanford.edu.
Note: Only applications submitted online via this page will be accepted. Documents submitted via regular mail or e-mail will NOT be accepted.
The online application will require submission of the following information:
- - Candidate’s academic work (e.g., GPA, courses, course-associated laboratories, prior research experience, computer skills)
- - A current transcript
- - An essay that describes an applicant’s interest for participating in this program (max. 5,000 characters)
- - A 1-2 page resume
- - Names and contact information of individuals who can provide a letter of recommendation (Note: Letters are NOT required at the time of submission of the application).
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.